Filling in the gaps OHCOH

#1 von Anacoana , 21.01.2015 20:09

Dental assistant from Forteau volunteers in Haiti to give dental service to locals

I arrived in Haiti on January 14, 2012, along with ten other dental health care workers.

© Submitted Photo

Verna Roberts, a dental assistant originally from Forteau, travelled to Haiti with other dentists from Newofoundland and Labrador on January 14 for a week of providing free dental care to locals.

My first impression of Haiti was the smell - the combination of diesel and burning garbage was not pleasant.

Then you notice the friendly faces of the beautiful people of Haiti.

We were there as volunteers with the George Stines Foundation location in Petionville, a suburb of Port-au-Prince.

Dr. Alfred Stines, who is a Haitian by birth but now resides in the US, has built two dental clinics in Haiti, one attached to the home he grew up in and another in Bassin Blu in the mountains north of Jacmal.

Dr. Stines, along with volunteers, returns to Haiti five or six times a year to provide free dental care to the locals.

Working conditions were definitely a challenge.

I think it's safe to say that for the first couple of days we were outside of our comfort zone.

There were frequent power outages, hand pieces or suctions mal-functioning.

The Haitian assistants and our own technician were kept busy ensuring the equipment was up and running.

Infection control was questionable and sterilization limited.

But we were there to offer our best to these people and we adapted quickly to the conditions and got the job done.

Patients would start lining up by 8 a.m. and we would have to turn people away by the end of the day.

Our day started at 9 a.m. and we would work through to 2 p.m.

With such a high volume of patients we would take care of the most aggressive needs first and try to maintain the lesser need.

Haitians need dental care desperately and they are so grateful and appreciative of our efforts.

I think it's safe to say that for the first couple of days we were outside of our comfort zone.

We even created a little history on this trip.

Our dental technician, Dave Babcock of Henry Schein, installed the first panoramic x-ray machine at the dental school in Port-au-Prince, which was a very welcome piece of machinery!

For one week we did fillings, extractions, root canals, prophys and fluoride applications at the clinic in Petionville and Bassin Bleu at an elementary school.

We did dentistry working out of lawn chairs and two other schools.

The people of Haiti are beautiful, proud, hard-working people.

There is evidence of rebuilding and most of the rubble has been cleared, but Haiti still has a long way to go.

They have suffered so much and need our help desperately.

It was an honour to work alongside the Haitian people in providing this care.

This was truly an amazing experience for me and I would highly recommend it to any health care worker.

You leave feeling very humble and blessed; in spite of their hardships, they have a smile for you and move forward with their lives.

What did I take away from Haiti? Don't sweat the small stuff!

Verna Roberts is originally from Forteau and also has family in St. Anthony. She has worked as a dental assistant with Dr. Dan Price, a periodontist, in St. John's for the past ten years.

Anacoana  
Anacoana

RE: Filling in the gaps OHCOH

#2 von Anacoana , 21.01.2015 20:10

Anacoana  
Anacoana

NYU Alum Assists Oral Health Coalition of Haiti in Addressing Post-Earthquake Disaster Relief Needs
Multimedia-Reportage: “Haiti: Auferstanden als Ruine”

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen
Datenschutz