Volunteer and See the Beautiful Dominican Republic

#1 von carlos , 01.05.2011 18:03

At 4:53 PM local time on Tuesday, January 12, 2010, one of the most catastrophic natural disasters in recorded history occurred in the country of Haiti when a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck the country. Haiti which is the most impoverished nation in the Western Hemisphere occupies the western 1/3 of the second largest island in the Caribbean, Hispaniola, with its neighbor the Dominican Republic. Although there has historically been a Haitian presence in the Dominican Republic, this disaster resulted in even more Haitians heading West in search of a better life and better health. Ironically, the healthcare delivery system in the Dominican Republic leaves much to be desired for even its own citizens by International standards. After practicing dentistry for almost 20 years and retiring back to my home state of Delaware in 2000, my wife and I relocated to the North Coast of the Dominican Republic in 2005. In the past 5 years, we have attempted to volunteer when possible, despite there not being any well organized way to help. We were so pleased to have met Chuck Ritzen just a month or so ago and learn more about his organization HADAC (http://hadac.org/index.html ) that is dedicated to offering medical and dental care to those in need both in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. After having run clinics in Durac, Jacmel and Cap Hatian Haiti, Chuck and his wife have opened a brand new clinic in the hills outside the town of Sosua. The medical and dental needs of both local Dominicans and Haitians living in the area are presently far in excess of the care that can now be delivered. Trained volunteers (medical doctors, dentists, hygienists and assistants), equipment and supplies are desperately needed to increase the number of patients that can be treated. I have offered my services to work diligently in an attempt to recruit volunteers, procure donations through HADAC’s U.S. non-profit organization as well as personally assist in the coordination of all aspects of a volunteer’s visit in order to make it a most successful one. This is an opportunity to make a direct positive impact for many much less fortunate. Trips of any length, alone or in combination with vacation plans can be arranged. I look forward to hearing from any one that may be interested or have any ideas regarding volunteer recruitment. Please contact me directly via email at: rob@drreba.com for any further information. Dr. Robert S. Chenvert

carlos  
carlos

Voluntourism: Canadian kids do ‘extreme makeovers’ at Dominican Republic schools
ILAC - Institute of Latin American Concerns

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen
Datenschutz