Your dental elective is a fantastic opportunity to travel the world, making the most of the time you have available to by using and developing skills alongside professional dentists.
Our dental student elective placements meet the requirements of most British dentistry schools. They include:
* A guaranteed clinical placement, organised by our professional staff in your chosen country
* Freedom to choose your preferred specialities, arrival and departure dates
* A placement supervisor who will oversee your work in the hospital
* Extensive pre-departure support from your dedicated project manager, with advice on visas, support letters and general preparation
* Meals and secure, comfortable accommodation in a large Work the World house.
* In country support from our well-trained, local staff
* No hassle – we cut through all the red tape so that you can arrive and get stuck straight in
Choosing your clinical specialities
Our partner hospitals and clinics all offer good opportunities for practical work in general dentistry, such as scaling, extractions, fillings and root canal work. There are also more specialist placements in oral cancer, maxillofacial and surgery.
Read more about potential clinical specialities for each destination through the "available elective placements" links on the side menu and don’t forget – if yours is not listed then call us. We can usually arrange something suitable.
For those dentists that are keen to take part in outreach work, or have more than 2-3 weeks and want to split their placement, we also arrange specialist dental projects in rural areas, screening and treating children with no access to dental healthcare. Read more on our dental outreach page.
Choosing your destination
We have a good relationship with each of the hospitals we work with and most clinical specialities can be accommodated within each destination. This leaves you free to choose between the safari, white-sand beaches and tribal culture of Africa; the intricate temples, colourful festivals and mountains of Asia or the leafy plazas, fine dining and tango of Argentina.
Read more about the highlights and lifestyle of each country on our destinations page.