Why volunteer with Dentaid?

#1 von carlos , 16.07.2024 23:28

Charlie Steward shares why volunteering with Dentaid was such a valuable experience and why other dental professionals should join the cause.

Dentaid, the dental charity, is a valuable asset to the UK, providing care to nearly 3,000 vulnerable people in 2023 alone. I volunteered my services as a dental nurse for a day last year and from this, came away with a different approach to care having been educated and directed to work in a private dental practice.

Recalling my first experience donning scrubs and entering the Dentaid mobile unit, one patient will always come to mind. Unfortunately, they had abused drugs prior to their appointment. Learning how to overcome the obstacle of potential cardiac risk while also maintaining the expectations set to deliver quality care to the patient was an important moment.

Exposing myself to problems outside the standard environment and learning to adapt to deliver top care is one of many examples of why more professionals should join the cause.

Overall, the experience of volunteering for Dentaid was a pleasure; I saw for myself the community benefit that this charity has built up over the past 20 years. Since their start, they have introduced eight mobile dental units with a brand new one on the way, collectively involving 457 volunteers last year.
Integral impact

Dentaid’s abilities extend beyond treating patients’ immediate dental issues. They also offer charitable over-sea expeditions as well as Brightbites, which is a service providing oral education for children.

These initiatives demonstrate a commitment to increasing their scope in resolving health disparities. Dentaid is always seeking the support of dental professionals, especially here in the East of England region.

Upon research, data on the statistics of those who require but have not received dental treatment stood at 12 million in 2023. In comparison, as published by the General Dental Council (GDC) in 2022, there were 44,000 dentists and 71,000 dental care professionals (DCP) registered in the UK. This highlights the need for more accessible dental care services.

As a student and future pioneer in the industry, I ask for more professionals to give their support to solve the current health care disparity that we face.

With the NHS being overrun with patients, services like Dentaid and Brightbites have been addressing minor shortages, but it’s down to us to increase charitable service as it’s evident the funding to expand these services are secured.

Dentaid’s impact within different communities is integral. Not only is treatment provided, but a relationship of trust is built, improving not just overall health, but wellbeing too.

I experienced this firsthand. The patients I assisted showed high levels of support to Dentaid’s service.

Between the high quality of care and the encouragement of patients, there was an atmosphere that allowed us to appreciate each other.
Join the cause

This summer, while continuing my dental hygiene and therapy degree and working at my local practice, I will be volunteering some of my free time to Dentaid once again. In the process of reaching out to Dentaid, I asked them their criteria for volunteers.

This is what Dentaid had to say: ‘We offer opportunities for trainee dental nurses to volunteer on the mobile unit if they have had more than 12 months chair-side experience. We do require dentists to have a minimum of three to four years’ experience, but we can have newly qualified dentists attend with a more senior dentist from their practice (they will need to organise this themselves).

‘Occasionally we have opportunities for students to help with taking medical histories.

‘If we are contacted by therapists/hygienists, we ask if they would consider volunteering in a different capacity as we only have one chair and most of the work is urgent care.

‘If they have also trained as a dental nurse, we ask that they are able to help us in this role instead. Lastly, everyone is welcome to join our Brightbites scheme, which is our oral health programme held in schools.’
Providing essential services

If Dentaid is to continue with their success, support from the dental community is vital. Besides volunteering, support can be through the participation of fundraiser events or spreading awareness on social media. Additionally, the advocating of funding and support for dental care in underserved areas is also crucial.

Dentaid’s service is an example of a powerful community backed by dedicated professionals working together in solving a common problem. Through our work, we can help remove the disparities of dental care and ensure that everyone has access to essential dental services.

If you are interested in applying, please click here. Otherwise, you can email them directly for other means of support at ukclinics@dentaid.org.

If you have any additional questions about my personal experience, feel free to contact me at Charliesteward43146@gmail.com.

Connect with Charlie on Instagram @studentdentaltherapist

Follow Dentistry.co.uk on Instagram to keep up with all the latest dental news and trends.

carlos  
carlos

RE: Why volunteer with Dentaid?

#2 von carlos , 16.07.2024 23:28

carlos  
carlos

Eine Auslandsfamulatur prägt oft fürs Leben

Xobor Einfach ein eigenes Xobor Forum erstellen
Datenschutz